Sunday, May 15, 2011

deep thoughts

As I ran my errands the other day, I watched some AMA employees uncomfortably and unsuccessfully try to clean the street in between parked cars/scooters with their hoses... and a thought came to me: why don't they have alternate side parking like in New York City? It would make the street sweeper's job a lot easier and the streets would probably be much cleaner. Then I chuckled and remembered that this Rome- where people park wherever they want, whenever they want. Alternate side parking would be a joke like all of the other parking rules already in effect...

2 comments:

Middle Way said...

Alternate side parking in Rome. Yeah, that's a good one.

Is it me, or have crosswalks become a the new availablity for parking too? I can't remember it being so bad just a few years ago. If your wheel chair bound or a heavy duty, you might have real trouble crossing the street because every possible way off of a sidewalk is clogged.

I'm from Seattle. Go ahead and Park in a cross walk. See how long it takes for a cop (or any citizen) to call a tow truck and have your car removed. I give it 15 minutes the first instances because the neighborhood would be in 5 to 7 minutes of shock and confusion, and then another 8 to 10 for the wrecker to arrive.

Romerican said...

I'm totally with you on that, Middle Way. What do you mean by crosswalks? Those spaces that have faded white lines that are perfect to park on? ;)

Yeah, it's out of control: I don't have a wheelchair or baby stroller and I STILL have to weave right and left to try to get off/on the sidewalk.
Can you send some traffic cops from Seattle to Rome? To Trastevere especially? Please!!